The Peter's church is the oldest church of Heidelberg. In the late medieval times, it had been used several times as a university chapel for the university of Heidelberg. Since 1896 it continues to be the university church. The Peter's church was built in the 12th century making it older than Heidelberg. The church was first mentioned in a document in 1196. The church has been donated by the diocese of Worm. At this time, the region of Heidelberg belonged to the property of Worms. The name of the church refers to the Wormser cathedral. In 1225, this area was given to the Palsgraves with certain restrictions and regulations to build, in which Heidelberg was then founded.